The UCSC provides access to Community Service Vans for CSRSOs to transport volunteers to and from service projects in the six-county metropolitan area. All drivers must be certified through the UCSC before reserving the vans.
To become certified to drive any University vehicle, drivers must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Be 18 years old by the date the van is to be driven
- Possess a valid US driver’s license for at least the past 2 years
- Have more than 2,000 miles driving experience with no moving violations, convictions or court-ordered supervision.
Be advised that applicants from Alaska, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Hawaii, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico and Washington will need to secure a copy of their Motor Vehicle Record from their home Secretary of State or DMV, prior to the meeting.
The certification process begins with an online training module. The course consists of video lessons and quizzes regarding University vehicle policy and UCSC Van regulations. You must complete all three parts of the certification course and receive a perfect score on the quizzes. Links to the course are below.
- First Lesson: University Vehicle Policy
- Second Lesson: UCSC Fleet Regulations
- Third Lesson: Risk Management and Accident Prevention
Once you have completed the training module, UCSC program staff will be in touch within the week to schedule a time when you can fill out the appropriate paperwork.
Certified Drivers: Click here to request a van!
Click here to see the van schedule.
Please keep in mind the following requirements and expectations we hold for our drivers:
- Make sure all reservations are made at least three days in advance
- Drivers must notify the UCSC of any cancellations
- Only certified drivers may pick up the keys. If someone other than the person who reserved the van picks up the keys, please notify us in advance
- There is no food or drink allowed in the van except water
- The van should be returned with at least half a tank of gas
- The van keys should be signed in and out using the sign-in sheet in the UCSC
- Vehicle inspection forms should be filled out accurately after each trip and returned to the UCSC
- All trash must be removed from the vehicle after each use and the van must be returned with a clean interior
- Any incidents or damage (including minor scrapes and scratches) must be reported IMMEDIATELY to the UCSC
- Be free of any prescription drugs that could impair your ability to drive safely.
- While driving, cell phone use of any kind is prohibited.
- Avoid consistent adjusting of the controls for the radio, CD player or navigation system.
- Radios should be used at a reasonable volume which allows the driver to hear car horns or sirens from emergency vehicles.
- The use of headphones or earplugs while driving is prohibited.