Seeds of Justice is a community-building and social justice program for 20 selected first-year students in the College. The program provides students with the opportunity to increase their awareness of the complexity of social justice issues such as healthcare, housing, and education, and explore strategies used by organizations in Chicago to address these inequities. It runs from Week 4 of the Fall Quarter until the end of the academic year.
Students participate in discussions, community explorations, and service projects that will introduce and expose them to a wide range of people affected by these injustices, and develop the critical thinking and leadership skills necessary to address these issues in the process.
Through weekly meetings, participants speak with various community leaders and hear their perspectives on social justice issues. Community explorations, service projects, and other experiential activities help create a closely-knit cohort and help students develop essential leadership skills necessary to sustain productive involvement with Community Service Recognized Student Organizations (CSRSOs) on campus and nonprofit organizations in the city of Chicago and beyond.
- To support a diverse group of 20 first-year students interested in gaining an awareness of social justice issues in Chicago communities through discussion, reflection, and direct engagement with the work of local organizations.
- To support students in applying what they learn about community-building to take action on and off campus.
- To support the work of nonprofit organizations in Chicago by facilitating connections between students interested in internship and volunteer opportunities.
Seeds of Justice participants are expected to attend all weekly program meetings (6 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays throughout the academic year, beginning Tuesday, October 28) at the UCSC, as well as two to four Community Explorations/Service Project trips (Saturday mornings) each quarter. There will not be a meeting the week of Thanksgiving.
An Information Session will be held on Tuesday, October 7 from 6:00-7:00 in Harper 141.
Students with questions should contact Caroline Ouwerkerk, Program Manager for Social Justice Initiatives, at CRO@UChicago.edu.
- Complete the Seeds of Justice application Due Friday, October 10 at noon (early applications encouraged!)
- Interview: Selected students will be invited to interview by Tuesday, October 14 at 10 AM. Interviews will take place Friday and Saturday, October 17 and 18
- Students will be notified of their application status by Monday, October 20. Students selected for the cohort must accept or decline their invitation by Wednesday, October 22 at 5 PM
- All cohort members will be expected to attend an immersive introductory session on Saturday, October 25
- The first Seeds of Justice weekly meeting will be Tuesday, October 28