In celebration of its 20-year anniversary of being founded by First Lady Michelle Obama in 1996, and to build a deeper culture of civic engagement for the next 20 years, UCSC invites members of the University community to consider the question:
What can YOU do in...
20 seconds? 20 minutes? 20 hours?
20 days? 20 weeks? 20 months?
...to become more civic-minded and civically-engaged?
Need some ideas?
In 20 seconds, you could
- Post, Tweet, or comment on an article or image that boosts awareness of social justice topics relevant to you and your community
- Donate money to a worthy cause that you believe in, on the street or over the internet
In 20 minutes, you could
- Listen to a podcast or read an article to learn more about a social justice issue
- Send an email to a local elected official about an issue or piece of legislation you care about
In 20 hours, you could
- Participate in all of UCSC's 20th anniversary events for a single quarter
- Spend one weekend day per quarter exploring Chicago's diverse neighborhoods using the CTA
In 20 days, you could
- Volunteer with a community organization two weekend days a month for an entire academic year
- Take a quarter-long academic class focused on civic engagement or social issues to boost your skills and re-shape your thinking
In 20 weeks, you could
- Use two quarters of your Federal Work-Study award to work for a nonprofit organization in the community instead of on-campus
- Devote two summers to internships focusing on political engagement, human rights, or community-based research
In 20 months, you could
- Dedicate your BA Thesis research to exploring a pressing social issue with a community partner organization
- Join the board or junior board of a local nonprofit organization