The UCSC, as part of the Student Civic Engagement Center, is pleased to support student-led initiatives and projects, whether individually or as part of an RSO or other organization.

For information about reserving space at the SCE, accessing funding resources (RSOs only), or accessing workshops and trainings for your organization, please email the Student Organizations team at


UCSC student and professional staff are available to meet with students for one-on-one or small group advising on a variety of topics related to social change and community engagement. Some advising topics include how to start a program with a community partner; RSO development or support; postgraduate service opportunities; community-engaged research opportunities; devising effective methods for program assessment and evaluation; job skills and professionalism in the non-profit sector; and many others.

To identify interesting service and civic engagement experiences, individuals may meet with the Civic Match team. Civic Match is a peer-to-peer conversational resource available to all Undergraduate and Graduate students at the University of Chicago. Our team will meet with you to learn about your interests and help you create a path into the kind of civic engagement work which is most appealing to you. Email  

To discuss partnership development and other kinds of organizational support for RSOs and other student-led organizations, individuals may connect with the Student Organizations team. Email, or UCSC Assistant Director Nick Currie,

Community Service Van

The UCSC provides access to Community Service Vans for RSOs to transport volunteers to and from service projects in the six-county metropolitan area. All drivers must be certified through the UCSC before reserving the vans.

To become certified to drive any University vehicle, drivers must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • Be 18 years old by the date the van is to be driven
  • Possess a valid US driver’s license for at least the past 2 years
  • Have more than 2,000 miles driving experience with no moving violations, convictions or court-ordered supervision.

Be advised that applicants from Alaska, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Hawaii, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico and Washington will need to secure a copy of their Motor Vehicle Record from their home Secretary of State or DMV, prior to the meeting.

To become certified or to learn more, please email the Student Organizations team at

Certified drivers may request the van here.